Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What Are You Reading?


Time to do another "What Are You Reading" post, since I always like getting recommendations from you guys to add to my "To Read" list.

I just finished the following books:

Empty Mansions by Bill Dedman

 
This book is about a reclusive millionaire named Hugette Clark. It tells the story of her famous father, who I had actually never heard of, and then details of Hugette's life until she died at age 104. I have to admit that the first part of the book was more interesting than the last, as the last part of the book discussed her will and her relatives contesting it. However, reading about Hugette and her homes, as well as her hobbies was eye opening and very interesting.

The Witch Doctor's Wife- Tamar Myers


Apparently this is the first of several mystery stories in this series set in the Belgian Congo.  I love stories about Africa and this one was decent. I don't know that I'm interested enough to read the rest of the books in the series, but I did finish this one and that's always a plus. The book is about an American missionary who moves to the Belgian Congo in the 1950's. She ends up hiring a witch doctor's wife to work in her household and then later saves the servant from death when she is accused of stealing a diamond and killing a Portuguese man who also lives in the village. The book goes back and forth between several main characters, which works sometimes for me and other times doesn't.

I'm getting read to read:
The Butterfly Sister- Amy Gail Hansen
Calling Me Home- Julie Kibler
City of Dark Magic- Magnus Flyte
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers- Mary Roach

So what are you guys reading?

5 comments:

Dana said...

Ohhh.... i loved Stiff. Loved it bc I learned so much about something I knew nothing about at the start.

I just did a reading post, too.
http://3ingiro.blogspot.it/2014/03/our-reading-log.html

D

Caitlin said...

"Stiff" was SO good. I was so sad it was over, I wanted it to last forever.

JG said...

I've heard good things about The Witch Doctor's Wife! And as it happens, I have a book review up today.

Melody said...

I'm working my way through The Monuments Men and Sole Survivor. Two non-fiction at once! So I stopped into my indie bookstore today and ordered The Un-Americans; short stories, fiction. I need a break. I am looking forward, geek that I am, to Tolkein's translation of Beowulf, which is supposed to be out in the fall!

Shoshanah said...

Have you read Somewhere in France yet? Out of everything I've read somewhat recently that one has been my absolute favorite!